Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fireproof

I have been reading this book that Sarah suggested to me. Its called "Fireproof" by Eric Wilson and others.
Its been so enlightening. Here I thought I had a good grip on how to make a relationship work... And maybe, for the ripe old age of 19, I do... but this book has definitely opened my eyes to how much it really takes. Its definitely changed my view of Brian as a person and Brian as my partner. Im 80% done with the book I started 3 days ago.
Now I have to actually go get a copy of "The Love Dare" and keep it with me. To remind me just how much it takes. Its funny, people think that a relationship requires things and romance. But it doesnt only need that. Those are the lesser of the important things.
The most important is Trust. Pulling a very close second is Respect. Then Pride, pride in your partner as you strip away your own pride.
This book has reminded me that I've pulled away from God. And that in God will I be able to be a good partner to Brian.
In my opinion, a relationship is designed to work because both partners are dedicating their lives to taking care of the other one. A relationship, a marriage, those vows we trade, are my saying I am here to support you and take care of you in the best of my ability, for the rest of my life, and In return, all I ask is you do the same for me; support and take care of me to the best of your ability for the rest of your life.

I truly suggest this book to anyone in a relationship or any one looking to be in one. It changed my whole perspective. Even if you arent a Godly person... remove the God and look at everything thats left... Its nothing shy of amazing...

The worst part is how so very humbling this book is. Everything it suggests are things we know we should do. And during the "honeymoon" phase, we do them with great valor. But once we earn the heart of that person, we slack... leaving our partners in the fire, alone. And how are they to pull themselves out?

I hope I remember this book and everything its taught me. I am going to try my hardest to be a damn good partner to Brian. I want to fireproof my relationship... and you never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment